Guaranteed protection and ultimate shine for your car with glass coating
Trying to keep a car looking brand new can be expensive, and end up feeling like hard work. All that washing, waxing, and love feels useless when a bird will find its target ten minutes after you are done. And it isn’t just the birds; lots of other external influences like UV radiation, chips, stains, dirt and swirl marks imply that the glossy newness of your coat will start to fade and wear. Which is where glass coating comes in to help. Glass coatings for cars uses nanotechnology to provide a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint work. The coating forms bonds with the substrate at a nano molecular level, and will not wash away or break down like a wax would do. This protection keeps your car cleaner and shinier for longer.
In this article we will describe how glass coating for cars are applied, what the benefits are and where you can find applicators in Hong Kong.
What makes a glass coating worth applying
Ceramic coating, glass coating, liquid glass, car paint protection coating, nano ceramic coating, ceramic glass, is there actually a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms are used to describe a nano coating based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass). These nano coatings are hydrophobic, hard, heat and weather resistant, and this is what makes them suitable for your vehicle. A glass coating makes your car paint easier to clean and more resilient. This is because they:
- Provide UV protection – When your vehicle is exposed to the sun, the paint will begin to oxidise and fade. A ceramic coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
- Prevent Chemical stains – Acidic fluids and salt will stain and etch a paint job (including bird droppings and dead bugs), but with a ceramic coating the hydrophobic property will prevent these destructive elements from affecting the paint.
- Are hydrophobic – They repel water, so water will bead on the surface and slide off. It is also more difficult for mud and grime to adhere to the surface, making washing easier and less frequent.
- Provide a glossy look – A ceramic coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, like it just came out of the shop.
The process of applying glass coating to your car
Applying a glass coating is an intensive operation and, like other automotive coating options, require an experienced and qualified professional to apply them. The process is delicate and hiring an authorised detailer will, for most people, mean a better and more effective coating application. There are, however, ceramic coating kits available which can be applied at home, if you wish to do so.
Be aware that: a flawless result cannot be guaranteed, when applied at home, because a ceramic coating requires an absolutely contaminant free environment which can rarely be achieved in a private garage.
Like every other coating application, the condition of the substrate is a key component. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and bare as possible; the coating will be easier to apply and work better when the car surface is clean to begin with. Though each individual product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfiber cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminants and oils as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying to one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfiber cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow the coating to cure. This step is especially important as this is when the nano coating forms cross links and becomes the protective coating you need.
Remember that no coating is permanent unless it is well maintained. A ceramic or glass coating for cars will wear off if not looked after, and will need reapplication every one to five years depending on the coating.
Comparing ceramic coating with the traditional waxing
Ceramic and glass coatings are considered a rather new solution for protecting car paint; despite the two terms, their compositions are very similar: both are car paint protection coatings. They are slowly replacing the more traditional waxing and hard waxing, which is no wonder. In the table below you can see how glass coating for cars compares to waxing and hard waxing in price and durability.
|CAR PAINT PROTECTION||DURABILITY||PRICE FROM|
|Waxing||4-6 months||444 HKD|
|Hard waxing||Up to a year||1222 HKD|
|Glass coating||From 1 to 5 years depending on the quality of the product||3334 HKD|
Note that glass coating for cars are more expensive than the more traditional paint protection methods, also because nano coating is not used in the traditional waxing. The prices are only indications and include application.
Local glass coating specialists in Hong Kong
It will of course be more expensive if you take your vehicle into a shop for a professionally-applied ceramic coating, than if you had applied it at home. You are not only paying for the work hours, but also for the security of a trained and experienced professional. A coating would be an investment for the serious car lover. A professional glass coating can cost anywhere from 3,343 HKD up to 17,699 HKD depending on the number of coats, the quality and the applicator. There are trained glass coating specialists throughout Hong Kong.
|Ceramic Pro Hong Kong||Rm.8, G/F, Kwong Sang Hong Centre 151-153 Hio Bun Road, Kwun Tong Hong Kong|
|Nano-zone (Manufacturer)||Nano-Zone Eco Environments Limited Lot 22-23 Tam Kon Shan Road, Tsing Yi North, Tsing Yi Island, N. T. , Hong Kong|
If you are looking for information for your coating project or industrial glass coating for cars, our experts are here to help. Just get in touch through the “Request a quote” button and we will help you find the right coating solution.