Buy powder coating powder – professional guidance to where & how to buy powder
Powder coating is not just the coating used to hot-up vehicles. It is a highly protective coating method that is used to protect substrates from corrosion, chemicals, weather, and physical damage while providing an attractive drip-and-sag-free finish. Powder coating is also a cost effective coating option as it produces little to no waste; Powder coating powder over-spray can be collected and recycled, which is partly the reason behind its environmentally friendly cred. All these qualities make powder coating attractive, and there are many companies in Hong Kong from which you can buy powder coating powder for industrial applications.
In this article we look at different types of powder coating powder and give you the information you need to buy the right one. We also look at where to buy powder coating powder and the brands and companies that sell them in Hong Kong.
The price is affected by the powder coating powder colour and effects
Most powder companies will produce a range of “standard” colours, with the option to choose another RAL colour that they can produce for you. These options will be represented in their powder coat colour chart or their sample cards. Powder coat colours can also be tailor-made for your specific needs, though not all companies provide this service. The colour options will start with the basic solid colour standard, and then get more exciting (and more expensive) from there.
Powder coating comes in a range of special effect finishes which are not available in liquid paint. These special powders include:
- Gloss – A powder coating finish comes in levels of gloss from matte with no shine to full gloss, which is the shiniest. Between these are satin and semigloss.
- Metallics – A metallic sheen or sparkle effect caused by the inclusion of metallic pigments like aluminium flake or mica, ranging from shimmer to glitter. They come in bonded and unbonded (which describes how the metal is incorporated). Unbonded is the cheaper but less consistent finish. Metallics are generally more expensive due to the extra process involved in making them.
- Colour effects – These include translucent finishes, which add colour while also allowing the metal substrate to gleam through, and dormant powders – a bright candy finish, this is a two step effect with a typically metallic base coat and a clear top coat. These are particularly used on bikes.
- Textures – These include sand (sandpaper appearance), hammer (like a hammered metal surface), wrinkle (commonly used on items like gym machines – rough yet smooth, with depth), and river vein (an almost wet look finish with a dimpled and crinkled effect). Textured finishes are usually more expensive because they require thicker films and special application methods.
Choose the type before you buy powder coating powder
Powder coating is available in a range of resin types from the traditional epoxy and polyester to the more specific fluoropolymers and nylon. Next to the resin, it is also important to understand the curing process of the powder – when you buy powder coating, you should know whether you need a thermosetting or thermoplastic powder.
They are both applied through the usual powder coating methods, but thermoplastic powders are more flexible, where thermoset powders are heat stable. Most powder coating powders are thermoset powders. Below is a list of the main resin types and their applications. It is important to choose coating products based on the substrate, environment, and use that it is required for.
- Epoxy powder – A highly protective powder coating powder for interior applications
Example: Axalta Nap-Gard FBE Powder Coating and Teknos EP 8024
- Polyester powder – A low cost, but durable powder for exteriors
Example: Prismatic Powder Color Range and Sherwin Williams Powdura TGIC Polyester
- Hybrid epoxy polyester powder– A thermosetting hybrid powder coating powder that combines the best properties of epoxy and polyester
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon 700
- Nylon powder– A thermoplastic powder that provides looks and soft touch
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon TP RTS
- Acrylic powder– Smooth surfaces for automotive industry with thermoset acrylic powder
Example: PPG Enviracryl
- Fluoropolymer powder – A thermosetting non-stick powder coating powder
Example: PPG Duranar and Axalta Alesta AR500
- Polyurethane powder – The most expensive and highly durable powder
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon 200 RTS and PPG Envirocron Polyurethane
- Silicone powder – The heat resistant powder coating powder
Example: AkzoNobel Interpon HT 450 RTS
Where to buy powder coating powder in Hong Kong
If you are looking to buy powder coating powder for your business, or have a business that requires powder coating powders for specialty applications, there are several big companies operating in Hong Kong who provide powders for your needs. These companies include AkzoNobel, PPG, Valspar, Teknos and Axalta, just to name a few. Below is a table outlining a few of the brands available on
|POWDER MANUFACTURER||POWDER COATING POWDER BRAND(S)|
|PPG Industries Ltd||Envirocron, Enviracryl, Duranar, Coraflon and Silversan|
|AkzoNobel Powder Coatings Ltd||Interpon and Resicoat|
|Valspar Powder Coatings Ltd (Inver)||Greenbar, Pipeclad and Valde|
|Axalta Powder Coatings||Alesta, Abcite, and Nap-Gard|
If you are looking to buy powder coating powder, we are here to help! We will connect you with one of our coating partners to provide you with the best coating for your project. The quotation service is free, and our experts will help you determine the right coating. Simply use the “Request a Quote” button beneath this article and fill out the contact form so we can get started.